eCom Hacks Academy Review (In-Depth)
eCom Hacks Academy Review (In-Depth)
This is an unbiased, in-depth review of Jared Goetz's dropshipping course, eCom Hacks Academy.
Is it possible to still hack into the dropshipping market in 2020?
Just how good is this dropshipping course? How does it compare to other courses?
With so many courses out there, you'd be forgiven if the name of the course appeals to you. Who wouldn't want a hack at success? And then it makes it sound legit as well, by making the training part of an "academy".
Of all the dropshipping courses, the course name is certainly my favorite. But is eCom Hacks Academy one of my favorite dropshipping courses?
Let's find out!
INTRODUCTION TO JARED
First we have to start with who Jared Goetz is. Jared shot to fame in 2017 when his Shopify store was the second biggest seller next to Kylie Jenner. He made a whopping cool $2 mill in just 6 months! The store, The Gadget Snob, at one stage went on to make $5 million in sales in less than 12 months!!!
And since then he has been able to repeat his successes. Given, it’s not as big as the first one, but he clearly knows what he’s talking about.
So yes, it’s fair to call him an e-commerce guru. Or a Dropsurfing Hacker of note, if you like. One thing is for sure, the dude has an eye for cars. Oh, I forgot to mention that he’s even been featured in Entrepreneur Magazine as well…
As for the course - it was probably named eCom Hacks as it teaches you the hacks/tricks of drop shipping.
I feel it can also refer to hackers getting in and out quickly. You need to be fast. And the course is certainly that as well...the core of it is only 3 hours and 16 minutes long if you ignore the bonus material....
WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE COURSE…
eCom Hacks, is a course presented by Jared Goetz himself, a very successful online entrepreneur.
Jared has an easy-going manner and doesn’t bore you with technical terms. He tells you what you need to know in a simple, no-nonsense way. The course content goes into detail about how to set up a successful e-com store, the “Dropsurfing” way.
He shares the following with you:
- Jared covers EVERYTHING from A-Z on how to set up your first store – he even tells you which plugins to use!
- Which products to look at, where to get them and how to deal with order fulfillment.
- Jared’s tried and tested advertising and scaling method.
- The course includes 24 hours and 18 minutes worth of videos. (This however is not the amount of time it will take you to implement everything. That will take weeks, so fair warning…)
THE eCOM HACKS COURSE BREAKDOWN
MODULE 1: STRUCTURE
Module 1 is basically an introduction to e-commerce, specifically setting up a Shopify Store.
Jared explains exactly
- how to go about getting a domain name,
- linking it to Shopify,
- getting a business email,
- setting up a call center 1-800 number,
- and linking your payment facilitators via Shopify and PayPal.
Module 1 is great for the beginner or those looking to refresh their existing knowledge of Shopify. Most of it is pretty standard info though.
Jared shares some great behind-the-scenes tips, such as why it’s important to set up an aftersales number, and how to easily set it up. The 1-800 number addition to the course is something unique.
MODULE 2: SETTING UP YOUR STORE TO CONVERT
In Module Two, Jared gets into the meat of the course.
He shows you exactly how to set up your Shopify store. Jared shows you:
- how to install his preferred theme
- which apps to use on your site
- and why you’re using them.
A nice touch is taking you behind the scenes to show you which apps to use, how to install them, why he uses them and how to best utilize them.
BUT - I don't always agree with course presenters urging you to use their theme. You don't always know how often it gets updated, or if it's even been properly tested for bugs. Then there's always the possibility that the theme might not be compatible with certain apps or plugins on the Shopify App Store...
MODULE 3: PRODUCTS
Module 3 covers the following:
- What To Look For In A Product
- Adding Products To Your Store
- Where To Find Products
- Order Fulfillment
In Module Three, Jared explains how to find the right products. He doesn’t spend time on finding new, trending products, but rather on building on the successes of others. You basically get coached on how to ride the wave of success, following in the wake of others by copying their trending products. You need to decide for yourself whether this is the best strategy for you or not.
Personally, I don’t know if this is a great option. Others have already marketed and made sales on the product before you, so how much of the pie is still left? That’s if you’re more successful at marketing your product than the others before you…
This for me, it sounds like a bit of a gamble and far from a sure-thing. Then again, not much is sure in the world of business, but you at least want to cut down on the variables.
Trying to flog existing, trending products as opposed to finding your own “next-great-must-have-thing”, is a bit like trying to sell a shiny thing that has already lost some of its shine.
It’s possible, yes. But it’s going to be difficult…
To me, the product research section of the course is lacking...
MODULE 4: ADVERTISING
Module 4 covers the following:
- From a Losing Product to a Winning Product in 6 Days
- How To Setup Your Facebook Page
- Setting Up Your Business Manager, Ad Accounts, and Page
- Campaign Structuring
- Facebook Ads 101 and 201 (by Jake Tenenbaum)
- Different Facebook Ad testing methods
- Scaling Strategies
- Manual Bidding Strategies
- Scaling Adsets Out To See Deeper
- Custom Audiences, Look-a-Likes, & Intersecting
As you progress through the course, this is probably the Module where you have to pay the most attention. Likewise, it is also the module where you get the most information. It is a lot to take in and taking your time and working through the steps methodically, are essential to getting your Ad Campaigns right. Do not skimp on this module. You’ll probably have to go through it more than once.
As you would expect in the final module of a course, this is the most valuable and comprehensive module. It goes into much more detail than the previous modules and covers more advanced subject matter.
Compared to other dropshipping courses, this is the best module where FB Ads are concerned. It is certainly the most comprehensive.
BUT, be warned. Jared's bidding strategy is not for the faint of heart and is far from conservative. It is VERY aggressive, and you can end up spending $1 000 per day on a single ad...FYI, Jared has spent $60k on a single DAY.
Go big or go home, right? (Nope, Not for me, thanks.)
BONUSES AND SUPPLEMENTALS
The eCom Hack Course also offers Bonus features and Supplemental documents for you to use.
I feel the Bonus Features are a bit of a hit and miss. Additional documents are a real bonus and a great resource. Some of the Bonus Content however is not so great.
- Bonus #1 is awesome. It is a complete course on it’s own (but longer than Jared’s main course…), but I don't know the presenter and can't find info on him...
- Bonus #2 is a document with a link that was already given in Module 2… It cannot be seen as a bonus, and why it’s here is a mystery. That's a FAIL.
- Bonus #3 features the videos with the worse video quality in the entire course. Coming in at under 2 hours, it’s a strain on the eyes… Not a great bonus where that is concerned. Another FAIL.
- Bonus #4 is a full stand-alone course on its own. It contains Mike Long’s Reverse Death Grip Strategy with a full 20 videos in the series. Course length: 6 hours 40 minutes. This is a worthy addition and for those of us who are not so gung-ho in our approach to advertising.
- Additional Documentation: a great resource! This is a worthy bonus. The highlight is the Hacks Document that offers insights to improve your on-page SEO.
eCom Hacks by Jared Goetz is a great introduction course to the drop shipping model.
Despite Jared's success and credentials, this course should be seen as an introduction and not the be-all and know-all of drop shipping. A lot of it is very basic and although Jared shares a lot of his own methods and the tools that he uses (which are great tips), I still feel the course content is a little thin. Especially for the price tag...
Established drop shippers will not learn much from the course, except for Jared's FB Ad methods.
Another issue is that Jared only focuses on Facebook advertising, when there are so many other platforms to take advantage of as well.
All in all, it's a good course with some unique content, but it certainly isn't the most comprehensive, nor the best.